The Incas were the first to use quinoa for human consumption more than 3000-4000 years ago. Today Quinoa is becoming known as a super grain of the future and can be used in many different dishes like this delicious and easy to make quinoa burger recipe. Give it a try and read about seven health benefits of this super grain.
Seven health benefits of quinoa:
1. Quinoa is one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat. It is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids.
2. Quinoa contains almost twice as much fiber as most other grains. Fiber can help to prevent heart disease by reducing high blood pressure and diabetes.
3. Quinoa contains Iron. Iron helps keep our red blood cells healthy, is the basis of hemoglobin formation. and supplies oxygen to our muscles.
4. Quinoa contains lysine. Lysine is mainly essential for tissue growth and repair.
5. Quinoa is rich in magnesium. Magnesium helps to relax blood vessels and thereby to alleviate migraines. Magnesium also may reduce Type 2 diabetes by promoting healthy blood sugar control. Other health benefits of magnesium include body detoxification, energy production, and the formation of healthy bones and teeth.
6. Quinoa is high in Riboflavin (B2). B2 improves energy metabolism within brain and muscle cells and is known to help create proper energy production in cells.
7. Quinoa has a high content of manganese. Manganese is an antioxidant, which helps to prevent damage of mitochondria during energy production as well as to protect red blood cells and other cells from injury by free radicals.
Quinoa Burger Recipe
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1 cup of water
2tb olive oil
Medium onion, diced fine
2 cups brown mushrooms, diced fine
3/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup nuts (I used pecans or almonds)
2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1/3 cup rolled oats
1 tbs tamari/soy sauce
Chili flakes (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cook water and dry quinoa on high until it boils. Then reduce to low and cook until water is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Heat oil and onions in pan until translucent. Then add the mushrooms, marjoram, and oregano. Cook about 5-7 min. Set aside to cool.
With the same pan toast nuts/almonds to a golden brown. Then chop finely
In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add the quinoa (cooled) and mushroom mixture. Stir to incorporate. Then add oats, cheese, chopped nuts, black pepper and soy sauce (chili flakes if u like)
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form mixture into patties 4-5inches in diameter and about an inch thick. This will be a bit messy and the burgers might not hold together well… But fear not as they will firm up in the oven.
Bake burgers for 35min. Do not try and flip them!
Enjoy with a your favorite toppings and a toasted bun!